I have read many inspirational stories about people overcoming great challenges and odds. I am a sucker for those same kinds of movies as well. Heck, I even know people who are amazing at attaining and getting things done. I often think to myself that these people are just amazing to stay focused on their goals and to know their purpose or drive. I wish to be more like these people in so many ways. I often get to where I need to be, but I would have to say it is more by chance than my actual ability to stay focused on a goal. In fact, sometimes I get distracted to the point where I have to start things over again to remember where I was trying to get to in the first place. I know there are some people who may read this and think "Really? She has trouble focusing?" Yes, yes I do. I try to hide it, but if you have ever had a real conversation with me when I was troubled or trying to figure something out, you would see how unfocused I really am. My thoughts fly about a million miles a minute and very rarely do they stay in one train of thought. I know I have to drive my husband crazy because I will ask him the same question about seven times before I even begin to realize that I have already asked that question. I am good at making excuses for myself: "I am just a scatterbrain" "I am really busy" "There is just so much going on, I can't keep anything straight". The truth is I just don't know how to focus.
So, how does it come about that I realize that this is something I need to work on? It is really quite amusing so I will share the story. This past Saturday, I stayed up way too late and amazingly, I was able to drag my butt out of bed and make it to Sunday School and church. I was doing pretty well on auto-pilot through the morning despite comparing the book of Revelation to World of Warcraft. Normally, I am right there in mind and soul with the praise and worship, however, on this Sunday morning the only thing I could think about was this song I learned in church camp from fourth grade "The Lord, he thought he'd make a man-dem bones gonna rise again--so he took a little water and he took a little sand-dem bones gonna rise again-I know it know it, indeed I know it Lordy, I know it woooo dem bones gonna rise again." After praise and worship, I got out my paper, pen, and Bible (Thank God for routine.)--I missed the attention grabber beginning but then I heard the words "We are going to talk about focusing." I swear there were bells ringing, horns blowing, and neon signs pointing right at me saying "Here, Here, This is the one who needs this sermon." With all of that noise, lights, and actions (even if in my mind), I had to stifle my yawns, sit up, and pay attention.
The sermon was taken from 2 Kings 2:1-14. This is the section about Elijah and Elisha just before Elijah is taken up in a whirlwind to be with God. Elisha was following Elijah from place to place despite people trying to deter him. You see Elisha was focused on receiving the Spirit to continue the work of God. In versus 1-6 he "pursued what he knew refusing any other direction" In 7-12 he "expected what he pursued, refusing to think any other way" In 13-14 he "received what he expected" (Pastor Chris's Sermon Notes to Congregation, 6/12/2011). In chapters 3-13 of 2 Kings Elisha used what he received. This was yet another story of great focus where someone knew what they wanted and was able to attain it and use it for God's purpose.
I often struggle with the great questions in life: What is my purpose? What am I supposed to do? How can that be accomplished? Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing? Is that person right? Should I be trying to do that too? Unlike Elisha, I fall prey to distraction and often find myself uprooted from my original plans (not that the journey hasn't been fun at times) or being a people pleaser by nature, I often find myself allowing other people to influence my thoughts. It is no wonder that I have yet to attain peace of mind and spirit when I can't stay focused on what would bring it all about. So, I am going to figure it out and begin my journey of focusing.
No comments:
Post a Comment